This is Winged Foot

This is  Winged Foot
June 15 through June 21, 2020

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Live at the US Open - Congressional - Wednesday June 15, 2011

Hi Kids – first of all many thanks to those of you who have emailed back to tell me how much you are enjoying my crazy thoughts and comments. As I have said before, I am truly blessed to be able to experience this event – this is the fifth one if you can believe it. I am thrilled to be able to share it with you.

This may be a short blog – we have the 7 a.m. shift in the morning which means up and out before 6 to catch the shuttle bus. Did I just say I am blessed? Did I tell you we are 7 a.m. through Sunday? I am rethinking the blessed part right now.

I had a blast today…it was a gorgeous day in the mid 80s, not a cloud in the sky and no humidity. Could not have been nicer. Let us not discuss tomorrow’s weather which you will see for yourself if you watch. Not looking too stellar at the moment.

American Express which is a major sponsor does a killer job…the free radios that keep you up to date with what is going on around the course…the free TVs so you can watch what is going on around the course (if you do not return these, they are NOT free any longer) … free swing analysis and free 10 minute lesson. So I did the lesson which they film, tell you what you need to change and how you compare to the pros, etc. (did I really say “film?”) They will send me a website I can log into where another pro will tell me what I should be doing, drills to practice and things like that. It will be online for one year and I can email the pro at any time. How cool is that? This is why we pay the big bucks to own an Amex card just so you know.

I don’t know if you know anything about Miguel-Angel Jimenez but he has to be the coolest guy out there. He’s well into his 40s and looks way older, has a bit of a gut, smokes cigars all day and night for sure, drives a Ferrari and drinks wine. He is just so nice to everyone – I love the guy. They sell these white rubber balls that look like golf balls – about 8” in diameter – and kids get them signed and or play with them. So this kid in front of me asks him to sign his ball and Miguel takes it and throws it up in the air and does a bunch of soccer kicks with it. Kicks it right back to the kid who I think was so surprised he didn’t even try to catch it…it was nice to see a pro having fun with the crowd and not acting like this practice day was life and/or death.

Speaking of kids, there were tons of them the past two days. From babes in strollers on up…often on the tee boxes a pro or marshal will pick a youngster out of the crowd to come out on the tee to get an autograph and use the paddles. The kids are so thrilled…and of course their parents get apoplexy they are so excited. It is a hoot!

Since I started this journey four years ago I make it a point to buy a flag from each site that is a replica of the pin flags. I decided I would try to get the winner from that year to sign my flag. I have failed – until now. I digress to say that I cannot find my Bethpage flag which makes me absolutely nuts especially considering the events yesterday.

We followed Angel Cabrera because I so wanted him to sign my Oakmont flag. Finally got the opportunity and he glanced sideways and kept walking…aaarrrgggh! But! A couple of holes later I finally was in the right place at the right time…I told him I tried for three years to get him to sign the flag and he said “really?” And he signed it very neatly and you can read his name. The icing on the cake is a few holes later Graeme McDowell signed my Pebble flag. Wow! Two for two. Worse part? I could have gotten Lucas Glover 10 times but didn’t have a flag. Oh well…BTW, my Torrey Pines flag stayed home and is hoping and praying to see the light of day at Olympic next year. An autograph on that one would be one in a million. There is always hope.

That’s it for today – tons of pictures to share. This was the last day to bring cameras but I will put up the best from here on out. Night all…

1 comment:

  1. What a thrill - especially with the autographs. Love both Angel & Jimenez. Stay dry! And keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete