This is Winged Foot

This is  Winged Foot
June 15 through June 21, 2020

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Live at the US Open - Pebble Beach June 19, 2010

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!!! With special thoughts going to my two sons David and Morgan. You two are the very best! And to all the other dads enjoying the day – have a terrific one.

Before I begin I want to say this…you all know I am a big Tiger fan. Normally a blog would not be 100% Tiger but please remember that Friday and Saturday I basically did not see anything else. Sunday we are on Phil’s team with Tiger right behind. It is going to be a total madhouse.

Just when I thought I had had one of the most exciting days of my life – day II with Tiger happened and what a thrill it was. I do not know if you could see it on TV but when he finally came out of his haze and played a lot like Tiger of old I could see it in the way he walked, his face had lost its permanent scowl and he looked relaxed. Maybe he finally figured it out and much of the tenseness melted away. By the end of the round his eyes were – well, just bright. We’ll see if that continues tomorrow.

One of the best parts of today was we got to sleep in a little bit. We did not have to be at one tee until noon – hallelujah! What was so strange is that when we arrived around 11 people were leaving! Not just one or two but lots. I was stunned but then there is no real understanding of people. My first thought was they showed up – took a look around and got the feel for things – and then left for a TV screen. But last night they told everyone they knew they were there yesterday and watched Tiger all day.

Random thoughts: 1) Children under 7 should be left at home. Poor things are so bored, parents cannot enjoy what they are seeing and little ones do not know when they need to be quiet. And don’t get me started on the strollers! The crush isn’t bad enough but trying to push a stroller through it is unfair to everyone. I wonder about the poor babies so close to the ground. They must be frightened.
2) Women who think they should wear high heels to a golf tournament probably should not have used the ticket. I mean for heaven’s sake – get real ladies. 3) I wish some people would get some fashion sense. Today a saw an outfit for the ages – lavender pants with a paisley print of yellow and blue, a lavender sweater and lavender Titleist hat. It was most amazing because this particular ensemble was worn by a man!

The Day with Tiger II

So things did not start out well for Tiger. The drive on 3 up and over the trees to 55 yards was amazing. The day before resulted in the unplayable. Phil tried it Thursday and hit the bleachers. So, after this fabulous shot he totally airmails it over the green. The redeeming value to that shot was that I was standing 20 feet from it. So I go over to see if we are going to have to move the crowd back to give room. Not necessary but here Tiger is already and I am stuck. My team has moved on into position and I am here watching. Oh darn! On to four which shares the tee with 17. Now I am stuck again because Sergio is teeing off on 17. Tiger decides to go for the green on 4 so being stuck behind a cart and stroller wasn’t too bad.

String of 3 birdies and things are changing. You can see it in Tiger and you can feel it in the crowd. The unfortunate bogie at 8 begins the Cliffs of Doom. Let’s hope the round isn’t getting away. Another birdie on 11 and the leaders are in play. Scoreboard watching is in play. Some players swear they never watch the scoreboard. I do not know how this is possible because they are on at least every other hole, very large and at the green. How does one keep one’s eyes off it? No understanding of that.

When Tiger birdies 16 you sense this could be amazing. Great tee shot on 17 and the crowd is getting crazed. We stand in an opening under the TV tower watching. Each time I am standing at a green I am beyond overwhelmed at my situation. Cannot really put it into words. So Vijay is long and off the green I think because I cannot see his ball. Tiger crouches to the side between two bunkers and as Vijay walks by surveying his predicament he says “could someone please lie down below the cup?” The first time all week Tiger broke up laughing at Vijay’s sense of humor at the impending impossible shot. Tiger sinks his putt and off we go to 18. This is beyond my wildest dreams to be certain.

As I walk up the fairway I find myself next to a guy I had not seen before. I say that I haven’t seen you before, where have you been hiding? He says that if I haven’t seen him then he is doing his job. What is his job? FBI. Okay dokey. How many of you are here? Five of us have been here with Tiger all day.

Tiger drops his drive behind those damn trees. He will draw it around, lay up and be happy won’t he? By this time we are at the lay up landing area to the right of the green. We can just see him behind the tree. He hits that shot – 260 yards out over the water and the crowd went absolutely nuts. The local paper said the players on 10 could hear the roar clearly and it is well over a mile away.

As Tiger approaches the green the crowd gave him his due for this phenomenal shot and 7 months are at least temporarily forgotten. If he had sunk the eagle putt the roar would have been even louder. Settle for birdie and the day is done. Almost.

Behind the TV tower is the press – first the paper guys and then TV. Why not? So the three of us left just hang out and the watch the press conference. I chat with Joe – USGA Security Chief – whose only responsibility this week is TW. He actually thanks us for a good job and we talk about Congressional next year. Can you hear my wheels turning? 

The day is done and Jeff and I head back for the long walk back to our B&B. Tired but exhilarated and once again remember how lucky I am. One more day of this crazy, amazing, surprising, fabulous week at the US Open. Til then…


No comments:

Post a Comment