This is Winged Foot

This is  Winged Foot
June 15 through June 21, 2020

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Live from the US Open - Pebble Beach June 17, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY SISTER PAM!!! MANY, MANY MORE...LOVE YOU

Can you say tired? That would be me. Not complaining in the least bit mind you – just fact.

It was another gorgeous day here at Pebble Beach. No one could ask for anything better. The wind was down early and then blew just enough to remind the players where they were. I don’t think anyone suffered too badly but then I wasn’t there at the end of the day.

If you have not been to Pebble Beach to view Carmel Bay on a sunny day do put it on your bucket list. The ice blue waves crashing on the beach dunes of the bay are a site to behold. Why watch golf when you can stand in awe of one of nature’s most beautiful creations? However while I enjoy the view every moment I am here to report to my faithful followers the events of the day.

Phil showed up this morning and so did his fans. They certainly do love him although they didn’t sing Happy Birthday this year. At 8:06 at the farthest hole from the entrance – a 30 minute walk – the diehards were there. But by 12 I could not believe how many people materialized out of nowhere.

Our job is crowd control at choke points, landing areas for the errant shot…whatever happens. I saw as much of the group in front of Phil as I did Phil, Paddy and YE. We did a lot of leapfrogging – once they were safely on the green, we were gone to wait for the drives. Crowd control from green to tee can be a mighty challenge.

There is a bridge they must cross from the tee at 14…it is very narrow. The fans can stand right up to the edge…too close for comfort. As four marshals held the ropes back one crazy guy had to try to reach out and touch Phil. He flinched away. Some people just do not have a clue. A couple of young men were standing behind me waiting for Phil. They commented to me that they could not believe they were standing there waiting just to see him walk by and wish him well.

Putting Phil and Tiger aside today we also were able to watch Paddy, YE, Ernie and Lee. Taking the four of them without #1 and #2 is a dream unto itself. YE had a really bad start but came on strong. Paddy started strong, had a few hiccups but finished better than 1 and 2. These six stellar champions are within two shots of each other. I think they have 25 majors among them. I must have done something right in one of my previous lives…there is not doubt.

I feel for the fans that want so much to see Phil and Tiger. They are the heroes and they want to be close. I get that. I really do. 4 tee and 17 tee are in the exact same place. It is security’s nightmare and the marshals’ as well. There are so many people that it was almost impossible to open a walkway for the guys to get from the green to the tee. The folks get upset when they have to move and lose their view. After all these years no one has figured out how to make everyone secure and happy at the same time.

As I said there were many holes we were ahead of the group but there were also a few where we were able to stand at the green – like with the photographers. I mean right there! I still have to pinch myself that this is really happening.

You all know I am a Tiger fan so tomorrow will be a true thrill. He played really well today. I did not see how the wheels fell off the last 3 holes but as Phil said – over par will win this championship – so they both are probably okay. I hope they are both around for the weekend so we continue being part of their advance team. Mostly I just hope they are both around and in contention. If not, still will have had the thrill of a lifetime.

Last…there are I think 142 other players at this championship and good luck to them. They deserve more attention. Truth be told there is too much emphasis put on Tiger and Phil. But, without them golf suffers as we have seen with two extended absences by Tiger and on and off play by Phil because of Amy.

Whoever wins it will be exciting and I cannot wait to see how it all unfolds. But I have to wish for just one Sunday afternoon at the US Open with Tiger and Phil in the last group. Maybe not this year – maybe not ever. But it is what fans dream about. Hopefully dreams come true.

And I am off to dreamland myself. Til tomorrow….

ps - for the newcomers to the blog check out blogs from previous days and previous years going back to Oakmont in 2007




No comments:

Post a Comment