This is Winged Foot

This is  Winged Foot
June 15 through June 21, 2020

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Live at the US Open - Pebble Beach - Wednesday June 12, 2019


Wednesday – first actual working shift.
Yesterday's gift from Cathy - stellar parking lot.  This 'parking lot' was street parking on the road along Spanish Bay and Spyglass.  The ocean was maybe 50 yards away.  Had to walk a bit to the bus but who cared?  And it saved us tons of time driving.  Again, many thanks Cath!

Our 19th Hole Marshal leader doesn’t have a lot of experience at this, but he’s a good guy and that’s what matters.  After much conversation about the upcoming weekend, he sends us out to the 10th tee/13th fairway player crossing.  Sounds like a bundle a fun, no? 
First of all, the only way to be farther from where we stood would be at the 10th green.  One literally cannot be father away from home base – which means the entrance and where you get the bus to go home.  It is a hike and a half.

Second it is close to freezing.  The fog rolled in and brought the wind and it was 61 degrees.  61 and sunny is great.  61 and 50 yards from the Pacific Ocean is not so great.  I at least brought my jacket.  Someone who shall remain nameless did not.  Shame!
This crossing in reality needs a traffic light.  Players come down 9.  The 9th green is past the 10th tee so they have to walk backwards.  If they stop at 9 they have to leave the tee then cross the 13th fairway to get to the shuttle cars.  Players who are coming TO the 10th tee to play have to cross the 13th fairway in the other direction.  It seems obvious that it being a fairway that players are actually playing that hole.  And players are trying to cross it from both directions.  Seemingly more thought might have gone into this mess.  But if memory serves it was the same in 2010.  My suggestion is that Pebble Beach dig a tunnel under the 13th fairway to the back of the 10th tee.  A snappy elevator sounds like a good idea.  Lord knows they have the money to do it.  But then it wouldn’t be as much fun dodging flying drives.
I get sent across the 13th to where the players come from the shuttles on the other side  of the fairway.  My job is to tell the players when and where to proceed so they do not get conked.  On my left as I face the Pacific is Bing Crosby’s former home. (and dang I meant to take a picture – I will tomorrow) and on my right is the Fitzpatrick home.  The only reason I know this is because Mrs Fitzpatrick came out to talk with a gentleman from a data mining company who counts some attendees.  In particular people who show up to the parties at the homes.  I really did not understand it and I’m not sure he did either.  Mrs. F was very nice and told my guy that people who showed up saying they were invited to her home should know whose home it is.  Like their name.  I thought that appropriate.  No party crashers there.  But then I know their name now and I’m thinking maybe I could join the fun too. 😊
By now all of us are close to freezing…no feeling in our fingers.  Welcome to Monterey Bay!  The nameless one has disappeared but soon comes back with black arms.  I know that the satellite merchandise tent is close by and he decided literally freezing to death was not an option.  Good choice.
I got to have conversations of various lengths to Tony Finau, Jim Furyk, Graeme McDowell, Shane Lowery, Mark Leishman and Ernie Els as they either came or went.  I admit they were mostly on the very short side but all were very nice and smiling.  They were freezing as well.
We made a second trip to the Merchandise store to buy me something to warm me up.  Felt so much better.  And it’s cute.  Wasn’t expensive but probably would have paid big bucks just so I could warm up.
Two major disappointments  
When at the crossing there wasn’t a sole at the ropes and who bounces (literally) down from the fairway is Rory.  My flag and pen are in my bag.  I had my back turned and didn’t see him until he was practically on top of me.  What a bummer!  More of him later.
Just before we left Brooks finished 9 and bailed.  Smart guy.  All these people are running up to the ropes we hold to get an autograph.  This time I have my flag and pen.  Typically when the pros sign and people are on both sides of the ropes they will cross back and forth.  He started on my side, then crossed.  I’m thinking he’s coming back to my side as he gets to where he can escape.  And sure enough he did but started at the person NEXT TO ME!!  I’m not pushy enough and lost out.  Truly bummed.  I will say that, remember he said Monday that he signs after he’s finished, I think he signed at least 50 times.  Maybe more.  All good.
We were thankfully released and made the long trek back to the bus.  Tired and ready to call it a day.  Work tomorrow afternoon and it promises to be an exciting day.  Can’t wait to see how the first day shakes out.  One thing I know – we will be fully prepared for the expected same weather.  We won’t be finished until at least 7 so I expect it to be a bit chilly.  Maybe the sun will show up just a little.  We hope.
Some photos of the day…and while I might sneak some more no one is supposed to have a camera out during play.  We will see…

Xander - love this guy

Jim the happy guy today




How's that for camera work - what a swing!
(thanks Jeff!)

No comments:

Post a Comment