This is Winged Foot

This is  Winged Foot
June 15 through June 21, 2020

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Live at the US Open - Olympic - Sunday June 17, 2012

Happy Birthday sister Pam! I have been blessed these many years to have you for my big sister.

Happy Father’s Day Jeff, David, Morgan and Trevor. And a get-ready to Scott.

I wish my father had lived long enough to know about my US Open adventures. He was a very good golfer in his time and always wished that I had had more interest in the game as a child. And how I wish I had taken advantage of the opportunities I had growing up to hone my golf game. But, he did install in me a love for the game which is why I spend a week of my life each year at the US Open.

I remember my hero, Arnold Palmer, losing to Billy Casper right here at Olympic. My father and I were devastated. Only imagine Arnie’s devastation. I could never root for Casper after that. They say Arnie never got over it. I rarely cheered on Jack Nicklaus because he stole the King’s crown. The only time I remember rooting for Jack was at the ’86 Masters. And that was grudgingly.

So here we are with the US Open at Olympic over and done. It was, as usual, an amazing week. There were thrills and chills and a rather surprising, welcome (in my humble opinion) outcome.




Congratulations to Webb Simpson!


An amazing comeback!

Webb Simpson WON the 2012 US Open. He did not back into it. He came from 6 shots back early in the round. And he missed four birdie putts on the back nine. He could have run away with it. He shot 68 both Saturday and Sunday. He won it! And I’m certain it is because I drove him to his car on Tuesday afternoon! Okay, that is funny. But I did have a nice conversation with him and I am thrilled he won.
Call me crazy but I’m glad that the trophy doesn’t reside in Northern Ireland three years in a row. That said Graeme McDowell almost sent us into Monday. He played well, came back after a few dicey holes and just seems to be the nicest guy ever. And he’s cute too.

Jim Furyk had it – and he lost it. For a player as steady as he has always been it was truly a surprise he let it slip away.

Ernie almost found the magic once again.

I hated to see Beau Hossler finish as he did and not win low amateur. He led the tournament at one time for heaven’s sakes. This is not the last we have heard from him I think.

Lee Westwood was snake-bit again having his ball decide it should find a home up in a cypress tree. I hated to see that after he came back from the horrific start on Friday. He deserved better.

David Toms bounced back from +6 to -2. Great job!

And then there is Tiger. He thrills us. He brings us to the brink. He makes us think he has returned to the days when he roamed the golf courses of the world at his leisure and beat them all to a pulp. He teases us. He makes us remember…he makes us want more. He disappoints. Only time will tell if he can truly put it all together again.

Here are my observations…

Love Webb Simpson. Love Graeme McDowell.

Worry about the pressure put on kids like Beau Hossler. Hope he doesn’t let the fact he did not win Low Amateur because he thought he might possibly win the US Open ruin him.

What is up with Phil? I worry that he is physically done. That would be a travesty. He is not dialed in. At least not now. Maybe the past few years have taken their toll – Amy, his mother, his arthritis. He typically does not mail it in. He did today.

Tiger is not yet back and may never be. However there is no greater force in the game. Maybe no greater force in sport. Love him. Hate him. He is still Tiger Woods and the people flock to him in droves. You must be at a tournament where he plays to understand what he brings each time he tees it up.

Today was great. It would have been beyond words had Tiger been in the mix. The electricity in the air on Thursday and Friday was palpable. Everyone felt it. Game on!

Yesterday you could feel the tournament change as Tiger struggled. It was like a balloon that slowly leaked its air.

There was little electricity in the air today. It was Sunday at the US Open but that feeling one has when Tiger is lurking – when the hair stands up on the back of your neck – was not there. He does not have to win…he just needs to be there. Like it or not – that is the truth. I was surprised to see empty spots on the hill at the 8th green. I was surprised there were late seats at 18. Guaranteed that would not have been the case had Tiger still been a factor.

All that said it was truly a wonderful Open. This may be the pinnacle of Webb Simpson’s career or the jumping off point to amazing feats. Hopefully the latter for a (seemingly) fine young man.

We have all watched Bob Costas for years. He is truly unflappable. But even he did not know what to do about the total jackwad that tried to ruin the award ceremonies. May you reap what you sow.

Final thoughts coming your way Tuesday or Wednesday. Driving home tomorrow. Good evening.






No comments:

Post a Comment