This is Winged Foot

This is  Winged Foot
June 15 through June 21, 2020

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Live at the US Open - Olympic - Thursday June 21, 2012


The 2012 US Open has come to its end.  The players, all save one, have either gone home, to the Traveler’s or more likely to a bar.   Only US Open Champion Webb Simpson went home happy and to ponder this life-changing event.  Like many we went home with many wonderful memories and stories.  We are thrilled to be back and I am looking forward to playing golf not watching it!

Olympic proved to be quite a test unlike Congressional last year.  The players at Congressional loved that they could throw darts at the greens and they would hold.  Unfortunately for them Rory was the dart-master and made everyone look like so many journeymen.  This year Olympic itself ruled the day and while one man ultimately prevailed many could have lifted the trophy and worn the Jack Nicklaus medal.

Olympic is a beautiful golf course.  Someday I hope to see what it looks like without the US Open tents, stands, port-a-potties, etc.   There are two and a half courses at Olympic – the Lake which is where the tournament was played – the Ocean which was pretty much destroyed to house the Open – and a 9 hole par 3 Cliffs which is I’m told right on the ocean.  If you look at the picture down a ways on the right that says ‘breathtaking’ I never saw that hole.  After walking the course I commented to Jeff that I had obviously made a mistake in getting that photo because there wasn’t a hole on the course that remotely resembled it.  If fact, no holes on the Lake course are on the ocean.  The hole pictured is part of the par 3 Cliffs course that sits on the bluffs above the Pacific.

I went back and reread some of last year’s posts.  What rattled my brain most was my thoughts on Rory.  On Saturday last I said: “Many are ready to crown a new king…I am thinking there might finally be a worthy heir to the throne. But know this…Rory has won exactly two professional tournaments! One PGA at Quail Hollow and one European at Dubai. Let’ really talk about this in another 10 to 15 wins. Another major or two?”  Well, since then he has won three times.  Two events were in Asia in the fall and the Honda Classic.  He was a non-factor in last year’s British Open and PGA and was 15 shots behind 2012 Masters winner Bubba Watson.  And well, he missed the cut at Olympic.  I worried last year about the press and fans anointing Rory the new king.  Heavy on the head wears the crown or something along those lines.  This young man from a little town in Northern Ireland was supposed to set the world on fire and instead was quickly brought back to reality by those ever-lovable golf gods.  I am sure part of the free-fall was of his own making but mostly because of the intense pressure put upon him by we the people.

As time goes by I believe that the wondrous achievements of Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods will become even more amazing and probably unattainable.  We have had 15 different major winners since Tiger last won a major at Torrey Pines showing how difficult the task is to do more than once.  There are about 100 one-time major winners and only three double-digit winners  since the 1860s when Willie Park and Old Tom Morris first won the Claret Jug.  No need to wonder why the USGA honored Jack Nicklaus by adding his name to the Open medal.

Random thought…there needs to be a new way to tally the world golf rankings.  Tiger remained #1 for months/years after his injuries and then his fall from grace without playing.  Now the top spot is all over the place.  Luke Donald, as fine a golfer as he is, is he really #1?  He was thoroughly overmatched at Olympic.  Is Rory really #1 with his year from Open to Open?  Is Westwood?  A single major between the three of them?  Do we need this type of ranking in such a fickle sport where one plays when it suits the schedule?  Imagine being #1 in any other sport without playing every game.  Just wondering…

Thank you all for following my yearly indulgence…I hope you enjoyed it.  Thank you for all your thanks and praise.  Some of you said you could not comment so I promise to figure that out before next year.  So now with the last blog I finally got my ducks in a row and posted pictures down the right hand side...nice work!

Thanks mostly to Jeff for traipsing after me one more time.  He takes the wonderful pictures, puts up with me typing away at all hours of the late night or early mornings to write this craziness and is all around terrific about the entire thing.

That’s it folks…the laundry is done, the cat is back home and all is right with the world.  Next year comes Merion!  Should be lovely in June in Philadelphia.

But…before you go…let me tell you there will be a small detour on the road to Philadelphia…there is an event coming up…



And yes, thanks to my dear sister whose name was drawn for tickets, we are going.  I am thrilled beyond words that I can attend.  This I am certain will be a once in a lifetime event.  So come September keep an eye out for …. Live at the Ryder Cup – Medinah!

No comments:

Post a Comment