This is Winged Foot

This is  Winged Foot
June 15 through June 21, 2020

Friday, June 19, 2015

Live at the US Open - Chambers Bay - Friday June 19, 2015


By far the most important feeling today is concern for Jason Day.  What we witnessed was very scary and incredible bravery.  I was stunned he was able to finish 9.  Our thoughts and prayers are with Jason for not only being able play tomorrow but for doctors to be able to determine the cause of his year-long struggle with vertigo.

Another morning shift today at Hole #3 – 7 am sharp.  It was a bit cool early.  The sun came out and it an incredibly gorgeous day.   I was there today because I took an extra for a friend.  Jeff volunteered to come with me (he says because he would miss me madly) and worked a shift.  He spent his time making sure the players crossing from 2 to 3 were not mauled by fans.

While I am writing this in the afternoon I have the opportunity to actually watch the TV coverage.  (Still on delay so I do not know how it finishes at the moment) 

A few first blush thoughts on Fox.  Joe Buck commented yesterday that there were 74 million Fox people on site.  That is possibly true.  One cannot turn around without a Fox person nearby.  Guess they want to get it right the first time.
·         Joe Buck.  I really like him.  He seems to be well-prepared and he can be humorous.  My problem is I can’t help thinking a football game is about to begin.   As time goes by I’m sure I will get used to him on golf.   Dan Hicks is not happy this weekend I think.
·         Greg Norman.  I admit I have never been a Norman fan.  My jury is definitely out on his color commentary because I think he needs a lot more time to prove himself.  I haven’t heard anything that makes me want to scream.  He hasn’t said anything provocative at all but that could take some time.  I honestly thought I would hate him instantly but not the case.  Again, the benefit of the doubt but I miss Johnny Miller like crazy.
·         Cory Pavin isn’t bad but three or four in the booth is too much. 
·         Having another ‘host’ booth with Curt Menefee and Tom Weiskopf is too football-y.
·         I don’t know if they talked much about the drone.  It flew around our hole #3 and #15 all week.  It’s pretty crazy to watch.  I think the pictures we saw of Jason Day being driven away was the drone.
·         Holly Sanders makes men happy.
·         Holly Sanders makes women less than happy.
·         On-course announcers – don’t even know who they are
·         The jury is still out.

Isn’t Cole Hammer just the cutest thing?  I think we thought the same a few years ago about Jordan Spieth.  Those Texans know how to raise golfers.

Yesterday as you know I managed to be present for the early shift I wasn’t assigned to.  Duh Mel!  I spent that shift on the tee and chatted up a lovely lady named Deb who was the ‘club’ person for Fox.  Did you ever wonder how the announcers know what club the player is hitting or just hit?  From the booth?    Well, there is a person on the tee that makes her/himself known to the caddies.  The caddies in turn signal to  her/him what club their players hit and that info is immediately sent to the booth.  I figure this sounds like a fun job.  Travel.  Golf.  Expenses.  Well Fox at any rate is pretty cheap.  These people make minimum wage and pay their own expenses.  They do not get uniforms or food.  In case you ever wondered…for $165.00 volunteers get the following:
 
·         2 shirts from Ralph Lauren
·         1 jacket from Ralph Lauren
·         1 hat
·         1 water bottle
·         2 commemorative pins
·         Food for each shift worked
·         Parking in a decent lot
·         Admission to all days – practice and play

Not too bad considering that a cheeseburger, chips and a soda will run you around $13.50.

Here’s a little funny info that has absolutely no value.  There are honey buckets at each tee for the players, caddies and officials.  Apparently the players make fun of their caddies when they use the potties.  Stand outside and laugh when they come out.  Today one of the players stuck a tee in the lock of the pottie locking his caddie in.  (unfortunately don’t know which player).  Meany!

It is going to be very interesting to hear what everyone has to say about Chambers Bay when all is said and done.  Some will love it and some will hate it as I said before.  I think the players are starting to figure out the course and many will embrace it.  But I am wondering if the Open will ever return for the single reason that it is not spectator-friendly.  If you are not in one of the grandstands you are pretty much searching for a place to stand in order to see something.  I heard this morning that the grandstand at 12 (the reachable uphill par 4) was full at 6:30.  Almost all the sand berms you see everywhere are not for spectators.  Yesterday some of them were commandeered by patrons to the point the USGA actually moved the ropes this morning.  While some are just not in a good place all are steep and very slippery.   I have seen many slip and fall down to the asphalt.  Steven Gallacher lost his caddy to a sprained ankle slipping.   I hope they figure it out so there is a next time.

Tomorrow is an off day for us and we will be couch potatoes.  In the words of Jimmy Buffet...”And now I must confess, I could use some rest.  I can’t run at this pace very long.” But never fear as I am sure I will have something to say about tomorrow’s goings on.

I am all in with Jordan.
I will miss Rickie this weekend.
I will miss Tiger this weekend.

But the Open will go on and it’s moving day!  Can’t wait.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment