This is Winged Foot

This is  Winged Foot
June 15 through June 21, 2020

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Live at the US Open - Chambers Bay - Tuesday June 16, 2015


Oh boy – what a day Tuesday was.  We left the house at 5:30 am and have just returned home at 7:15 pm.  Without stopping for dinner would have been 6.  It was a very long day.  Part of it we froze to death and part of it we were dying of the heat.  Welcome to the Pacific Northwest!  It was 54 and very breezy early.  Wished I had a sweater and pants.  By 11:30 I was thrilled I was in shorts.


First up at 7 am – no surprise there.  Tiger Woods.  Jordan Spieth joined him along with Henley.  Tiger’s buddy Notah Begay was with them and chatting up the world.  Everyone was laughing and having a good old time.  I mentioned players were to go back down the green to exit 3.  Tiger and group did not get that email so I had the pleasure of personally telling Tiger where to go.  In a very kind way of course.  He looked around and said – “ok.”  And off they went.  And I'm certain he will always remember me.  (now that's funny LOL!)


As marshals we rotate around the hole so everyone gets a chance to be at the good locations and perhaps the not-so-good locations.  We are lucky – we really don’t have any bad ones.


I move to the tee box which brings excellent company.  Phil, Rickie, Snedeker and Walker wander up.  They have a good 10 minute wait.  I am standing literally within 6 to 15 feet of all of them and I cannot take a single photo.  Marshals are not allowed to use a camera when working.  Dumb me!  I should have stepped outside the ropes a couple of times.  No one would have noticed.  The mojo in the group was interesting.  Walker said not a word to anyone and basically kept his head down and I assume in his phone.  Fowler and Snedeker laughed a lot chatted up a storm with Butch Harmon joining in.  Phil sort of stood off to the side but was joking with them a bit.


Then came Cabrera, Romero and Jimenez – the Spanish speakers minus Sergio.  How I wish I could speak Spanish.  They were having such a good time, laughing and teasing.  Fun to watch.


Did you know Dustin Johnson chews?  He pulled out a wad waiting his turn.  Gosh what a nice swing.  Two-time winner Lee Janzen is 50 and while he looked splendid in all black he looks every bit of 50 with very deep creases around his eyes and mouth.  And has very small feet.


Bubba seemed himself.  Wasn’t happy.  Wasn’t mad.  Didn’t say much or look at the crowd.  One girl actually asked the police security officer assigned to Bubba if he would ask Bubba to give her an autograph.  He kindly refused.


Zach Johnson was out by himself and interacted with the crowd more than any player.  By far.


Graham McDowell had the best outfit…cool check pants with slate blue and white saddle shoes.  Love saddle shoes.


More sartorial splendor…after the usual black and white gray was definitely the color of the day.  Tiger, Jordan , DJ, Rickie, Kuchar, Cabrera.  Cabrera’s threads were top dog.  He and his caddy son wore the same gorgeous pullovers.  Went nicely with Angel’s handsome new teeth.


There is more to say but it is time for sleep and tomorrow the fun will continue.  The calm before the storm and then the drama unfolds.  I think the most interesting thing so far is the absence of a Rory McIlroy sighting.  I know he has been there and I am pretty sure he has played some sort of practice but his name has never been on the boards that tell you who is where.  I have not heard people talking like – Rory’s on #x…gotta go.  He is scheduled to practice in the morning.  Maybe will catch sight of World #1!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic commentary, can't get that in golf digest. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete