This is Winged Foot

This is  Winged Foot
June 15 through June 21, 2020

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Live from the US Open - Oakmont - June 14, 2007

So, day one is complete. No stupid scoring - low that is - on anyone's part. Most everyone is still alive.

As I sat in the bleachers at the 18th green, I noticed that I heard almost no roars that one expects. Thus, no real fireworks but a lot of "how fast can I get this over with?" As I watched for a good 4 hours from the same place where I could see three tees and two greens, I observed that not one single player spoke to another. Not one! Since I was at 10 tee and half the field went off 10, those players did speak and shake hands but that is the only time. And this is only Thursday!!! This is serious stuff for sure.

The weather was cool and cloudy most of the day and last evening we had great thunderstorms so the course was damp. They do not expect anymore rain so the course will dry out and things will get really crazy.

The 18th green is so amazing - first of all if you do not get the ball up, down it will go - way, way down. Because it was damp today, balls did not run back off the green. They will from now on unless rain comes again. But the incredible hills and valleys - and that is what they look like - on the green you just do not see anywhere else. Today the pin was in this little swale and this was the easy placement. Better them than me ....

After walking not even the whole course today and standing at a cash register for four hours, I am tired. I have a whole new respect for these guys who do this week in and week out. I thought, well they have caddies and are really taken care of and this is true. But, they don't play the same courses we play. While they are not all Open courses, each course is set to be a difficult as it can possibly be. It has to be exhausting for these guys (and gals) especially when it is as important as the Open.

I am still rooting for my autographer, Sean O'Hair. He seems like a really nice young man. I can't tell you how many people asked me who I got to autograph my visor. I didn't really think it was a big deal but so some...well, I guess it is. I hope he does well.

Don't know if this interests you or not - hope so. If not, you know where the delete key is :)

Maryellen

No comments:

Post a Comment