This is Winged Foot

This is  Winged Foot
June 15 through June 21, 2020

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Live from the US Open - Bethpage June 20, 2009



Yesterday's Photo

You should have seen these when the mud was wet


Saturday – Almost Moving Day – at the US Open!

Saturday began at 4:45 am – 6:00 am shift. And I volunteered for this?

The good news – it is not raining – the sun will shine at least for awhile. And, I have been sent to the grandstand at 15 Tee/16 Green to watch over the disabled folks that want to sit there. There is definitely no problem there for me!

6 o’clock in the morning is an interesting time – it’s quiet and there are (relatively) few in the crowd. The stands are almost empty and play is not scheduled to begin until 7:30. I have this bird’s eye view of the day’s awakening. I look over to one of the concession stands which typically have lines of 25 to 50 minutes (I’m NOT going there – yet) and three or four people are on line. This is the first early shift I have worked and I think I like it. An added plus – done at 10:30 and the day is mine to see what I want to see. Gotta love that!

I was very lucky with my assignment. I got see ¾ of the field go through including all the biggies – Tiger, Phil, Jim, Rocco, Vijay. Oh, forgot. This year’s biggies are Ricky and Lucas, David and Azuma. As for last evening’s question – I did find out who Azuma Yano is. I’m pretty sure everyone else is going to know who he is by the end of the 3rd round if not the 4th.

As the minutes went by more and more people arrived. All of a sudden, the stands were almost full; the lines were back and all was right and proper. The grandstand marshals started telling people to fill up spaces because a lot of people would be showing up shortly. Phil was getting close.

14 is a par 3 across a road and up a pretty steep hill. I can see people are just everywhere over there. As the group playing in front gets to 15 you wait for the noise. A small roar for the tee shot. Must not be close. By the time they get to the green you hear either roar and raucous shouting (birdie) or roar and groan. This time – a groan. A big, huge cheer as Phil arrives at the tee. People are everywhere. As soon as he leaves so do half the fans to follow him. Always makes me feel badly for those that follow.

A couple of hours later, we go through the same scenario, including the groan from 14, for Tiger. Phil may be the darling of the New Yorkers who want desperately for him to win but the crowd for Tiger was far and away bigger. It was just amazing to look up 15 – a literal sea of human beings. 15 goes up (another bogie for Tiger) and 16 comes right back down to our same grandstand. Tiger misses his relatively short birdie putt. Empty the grandstand! Including me. My shift is over, it is raining and I’m heading out. TV coverage can work for me the rest of the day.

And speaking of the rest of the day…the start of the third round at almost 6 pm. You might not believe this but I’m not old enough to remember a few of the earlier Opens. I sure don’t remember anything like this. Wonder what the players thought. If you had tickets for Thursday, you were SOL. If you had tickets today and were tireless, you saw an amazing day of golf. Half of one wave, all of the other, the course changed, mowed, cups relocated, sun, rain and three or four holes of the third round. You can go home and tell a great story that may have never been told before. Were I Ryan Seacrest I would say – THIS is the US Open!

Ricky Barnes shot an Open two-day record 8 under par – 132. Congratulations! Josh Brock (even more unknown than Ricky Barnes) who I am certain started with week with the same hope and desire to win the Open shot a 162. 30 strokes – perhaps many of them under 3 feet or 3 inches – the difference between hero and last place. Much better luck next time to those who went home tonight. I can’t help but wonder how much guys like Tiger and Perry and Cabrera who need multiple miracles to contend much less win wish they on their way to a warm, dry home.

By the way, it is pouring rain once again and they are expecting one to two inches. Anyone’s guess if we go tomorrow morning. Till tomorrow night when we may or may not have a US Open winner – a good night.




No comments:

Post a Comment