This is Winged Foot

This is  Winged Foot
June 15 through June 21, 2020

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Live from the US Open - Torrey Pines - June 15, 2008

My friends, the US Open 2008 is in the books and I do believe that it will be written about by those more qualified than I for many years to come. Tiger Woods has created some of the most memorable moments in golf and in all of sport over the last decade or so. When he says this one was the best, we cannot help but agree.

Rocco Mediate. What can be said about a man who has struggled so long with health issues who comes back and challenges Tiger Woods to a draw and almost pulls off the upset of “most of time?” He, from all accounts, is just the nicest man who deserved to have any other golfer in the world as his opponent on Monday while he played the best golf of his life. Rocco Mediate is what golfers aspire to be – a gentleman (or lady) who plays the game with his heart and soul. Years from now I believe that people will remember that Tiger won his 14th major in 2008 at the US Open. Unlike the other 13, they will also remember the man he was one single stroke better than over 91 holes.

The USGA sold 42,500 tickets each of the four days of play. There were between 70 and 150 men playing on those days. On Monday, they sold 24,000 tickets so people could see two men play. To say it was crowded is somewhat of an understatement. I had to decide what I wanted to do because following them meant looking at the back of thousands of heads and not seeing much at all. After watching the 8th green, I decided to bite the bullet and head for the 18th grandstand. I figured, if nothing else, I would see the end of play. (Who knew I should have had my crystal ball tell me to hang at the 7th green?)

I head for the stands – don’t get numero uno seat of Sunday but still really good – 4th row, right of the pin. I chat up the folks around – happy atmosphere. It needs to be because the game is on the 9th tee! Two hours minimum until we actually see something. I decide I need to eat something and get something to drink. My new buddies hold my seat and off I go. The organizers in all their wisdom have next to no concessions open and the line at the main stand is almost an hour. So I wait for 25 minutes when a volunteer comes along and says that they are closing the grandstand at 18 and if you are not in your saved seat, they will give it to someone else. They are NOT kidding. I do not eat and I do not drink and there are zero water fountains. How I wish I had brought in my volunteer water bottle. Of course, had I been drinking anything, I would have had to use the facilities and I couldn’t do that and I would have been miserable. All worked out well.

So, we are all waiting patiently for Tiger and Rocco to make their way around 8 holes. During this time, a football game broke out. Some gentleman who had no doubt had several meetings with cups of beer during the course of the morning decided it was time to organize a wave. Being golf fans, he had a hard time getting them on board. Like, duh! What is a wave? When everyone finally figured out what to do, there was a wave that went around the grandstand, halfway down one side of the 18th fairway, across to the other side and back to the grandstand. I was hoping NBC would show it because it was way cool. I was also hoping it would go one time around when Tiger and Rocco got to the tee. Would have been awesome TV!

People were cheering Rocco, Rocco and then others would come back with Tiger, Tiger! The best was “We will, we will – Rocco!” I doubt he heard that. I hope someone told him how the crowd was with him almost 100%. I wish they could have tied.

We all know that Tiger pulled another magic trick and it was again amazing to watch in person. Even though I truly saw one hole of the 18th hole playoff of the US Open, it was well worth the time. It was an electric atmosphere and regardless of who you wished to win, you knew you were witnessing something very special. Tiger was very humble and he was truly thrilled to take his little girl into his arms. It was quite something. Rocco gave him all the room to accept the accolades before he walked on the green. He received the ovation he deserved and I hope he knows and remembers how loved he was these five days.

I am back home and a little sad to have such an experience come to an end. I am truly blessed to have the opportunity to have attended the Open two years in a row. I will be going to Bethpage next year as well. I can’t believe how lucky I am.

Last year when I wrote Live for the first time I think it was as much for me as for you. It was a way for me to remember the moments and share with you as well. Sometimes as I write I worry that I will be boring you to death because I really just write about what I see and feel and in some cases, what I think. I have received so many responses from you with words of encouragement and appreciation. Thank you so much.

Until next year or perhaps from the Ryder Cup (an I lucky or what?), keep your head down.

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment