This is Winged Foot

This is  Winged Foot
June 15 through June 21, 2020

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Live from the US Open - Torrey Pines - June 10, 2008

Friends, Dutchman (Arnold) and Countryman – I’m back! Back at the US Open – does it get any better than this? I think not! I am lucky and blessed and my feet hurt like #@%#!!!

So, okay…the weather in Seattle for the last two years would make Noah cringe…the snow level was to be down to 2500’ today and this is June 10 for heaven’s sake. One of my customers told me this morning that he had a fire last evening and it was windy and rainy and others lost power. It is June 10. Another customer who shall remain nameless reminds me of the email we have all seen about the computer support person whose caller’s computer was not working and it wasn’t turned on…that customer called us today. 911…it’s real folks…I digress.

Here I am at Torrey Pines – all 7600 yards of it. Like I said, my feet hurt. It will be very interesting to see how Tiger does on this very, very long course with his knee and all. Oakmont, last year, was pretty compact. Torrey Pines has some long walks between holes. It is down and back, out to the ocean and back several times. It is looooonnnngggg!

Today was June Gloom – onshore Flo – cloudy, cool and very breezy on the holes closest to the ocean. The sun came out around 3 for about an hour. Same forecast for tomorrow – I could be happier. (see paragraph 2) I need sun and warmth because winter will be setting in again as soon as I return on the 16th. You think I am kidding?

Torrey Pines is beautiful and perfect in every way. Narrow fairways and rough that eats the feet of people who stand in it. There are going to be some very, very interesting situations this week. I am certain of that. The man who can hit it straight and not spin it a lot is going to have a good chance. Most of the greens slope back to front…pretty standard for US Opens. But there are a couple of holes that slope so far one wonders how any ball will stay on the greens. Oh, the USGA has decided that the rough isn’t long enough so they are watering it. These people are ruthless and could put any villain to shame.

My visor was very busy today…autographs from Padraig Harrington, Lee Westwood, Kevin Streelman and Nick Taylor (go Huskies) for starters…just missed Ernie and Vijay…maybe tomorrow. I truly am not a big autograph person but you just stand there when they go from hole to hole and they sign. Who knew? Cool.

Again, I work in the Merchandise Tent but this time a Satellite tent which is at the main gate. Things really turned around from last year when the main tent was at the main gate. Could be slow which is good because then I can concentrate on the TV so I can see what is happening a couple of hundred yards from where I will stand.

One of my Notes to Self last year was to bring binoculars. I did this. Smart. I left them in the car today. Dumb. Will not do this tomorrow.

Most interesting observation today…tee to green was normal play. Once players got to the greens, they putted from everywhere, threw balls to see how the greens roll and how far the ball would roll down the slopes if they missed the approach, chipped from all sides, buried balls in the rough to see if they could be gotten to the green and in the case of Luke Donald, made like us. Practicing from a green-side bunker he sculled it over the green almost to the next tee. One typically does not hear “fore” when standing at a green. Pretty funny and nice to know even they can be just like the rest of us.

That’s it for tonight folks…

Mel

Ps – Elena, wish you were here

No comments:

Post a Comment