This is Winged Foot

This is  Winged Foot
June 15 through June 21, 2020

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Live from the US Open - Oakmont - June 15, 2007

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz -- I'm tired. This volunteer stuff takes a lot out of you. But not complaining to be sure. This is fun!

When I play golf, I hate it when it is slow because I like to play fast.
More than once I have commented - these guys think they are playing the US Open. Well, that is being unkind. There is nothing like watching these guys actually play the US Open. The term "ready golf" is NOT in their vocabulary! I realize this is "end of the world important" but most of the time they have already been waiting for several minutes to hit their shots.
And when it is finally their turn, THEN they begin playing the US Open. It must drive the few guys that like to play at a reasonable pace absolutely nuts. From what I have observed, most of their shots have little or no hope of going anywhere good so they may has well just give it a whack and hope for the best.

It is interesting to see these guys whom you have seen shoot 20 under par unable to break 80. There is a lot of head-shaking going on. It must really play games with their confidence. Bottom line, it is an incredible test of their golf skills, their mental stamina and emotional control.

Have met some nice people - just chatting with whoever is standing next to me on the course or with the volunteers. I mentioned to someone I was talking to that I was going from here to Buffalo for a couple of days and these three guys go - Buffalo! Are you from Buffalo? They were pretty excited so we talked about Buffalo for a little while.

In my first message I said that the cool thing about being a volunteer was being able to get free water? Well that is cool and if it is really hot the next two days, it will be great. But, the REALLY great thing is the volunteers get a real bathroom. Trust me, it matters!

Notes to self:

Don't go to a golf tournament without binoculars When they ask if you want a visor or hat - take the hat.
When it is time to say goodnight - do it.

Good night...

No comments:

Post a Comment