This is Winged Foot

This is  Winged Foot
June 15 through June 21, 2020

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Live from the US Open - Bethpage June 18, 2009

CAN YOU SAY RAIN?


Rain is a nice word for today's mini-monsoon here at Bethpage. Noah would have been right at home here on Long Island...good thing he got the animals way back when. Unfortunately they probably all drowned this afternoon. I'm sure you saw the TV photos of the Black which needs to be renamed Black Lake. It has rained here in NY all but three of the last 30 days (in Seattle we have had 29 days WITHOUT rain) so the course was already really wet. With today's 2" +, it is now just obscenely soaked.

When watching, see if you can see 1 and 18 which run parallel to one another. One is a steep downhill and 18 is a steep uphill to the green. The walking (crowd) paths on all sides were already wet, muddy and slippery the other day. There simply is no way in my opinion they will be walkable tomorrow. On 18, if you are not in the grandstand, you might not be there at all. Just too bad for all. Then again, these USGA guys and greenskeepers do create miracles.

It did occur to me the other day that kids would have a stellar time around the course because it could be a slip 'n slide extraordinaire. I remember what a couple of my backyards looked like years ago.

So, hoping for clear weather but forecast is showers tomorrow, rain again Saturday, showers again through Tuesday. Clearly, it could go to Monday. I think it might be to go back to years past when the final 36 were always on Sunday. That would separate the men from the boys don't you think?

Random thoughts...
  • What on earth is wrong with Padraig Harrington?
  • Who chooses Henrik Stenson's wardrobe? Those pants! See photo at right.
  • Bob Costas is a terrific announcer of all manner of sports. He is arguably quite a small man which is okay. Why would NBC choose to sit him in this Renaissance-looking chair that made him look like a little boy in a suit? Good grief!
  • Is it normal operating procedure? Looking for a better tip? But in every place where we had been out to eat, at least one drink has been missing from our tab. This never happens to us anywhere else we go.

NEW WEATHER ALERT -- Dry and maybe some sun tomorrow :) Rain again Saturday :( Showers and dry on the final Sunday := and maybe Monday. Might be a good thing we are returning Tuesday.

  • The local restaurants have been great – including the $.10 wings the other night. Okay, okay, it is New York but it's not the City. Everyone we ask has a recommendation on where to eat which is good. Always want local input...anyone out there have a great suggestion? Post a comment or email me.
  • I wouldn't wish Phil Mickelson's situation on my worst enemy. He needs to be here for himself and he needs to be here for Amy. That is what she wants. And the fans here just adore him and Amy's health just makes them love him more. They want to be supportive but I wonder as they yell out their support of Amy hundreds of times a day if that doesn't just make matters worse for him. When we followed him yesterday we were pretty close several times and we could see the stress and the guarded smile for the fans. I may not be his greatest fan but I give him major props for putting himself through this. He didn't have to. But I think he needed to be here for his fans. What a gift to all should he pull it off this weekend!
  • There is not a single set of ladies' rain gear left on all of Long Island. I know. I looked.
  • Chi Chi Rodgriguez checked into our hotel this afternoon. How fun is that? Hope to catch a glimpse and maybe get a photo op. Got his autograph 2 years ago...seems like a very nice man.
  • I hope one of the amateurs or club pros pops up and does really well...would make it exciting. Nick Taylor, WA Huskie, would be a great choice. Seems like a very nice young man.
  • Missing playing golf - our season isn't long enough and here I am in the rain. I know, I know...don't even think it :)
  • Just watched the replay of Torrey Pines Saturday when Tiger went off the charts...wonder when there will be another three days to equal Saturday, Sunday and Monday 2008.
  • Part of me - ever the Tiger fan - still wishes Rocco had pulled it off. Go get it this year Rocco!
  • That said, today’s replay coverage which I saw numerous times, was pretty much all Tiger. When Tiger is playing I want to see his play. BUT! I also want to see other players – lots of them. I will give ESPN and NBC that there wasn’t much else going on but still…

I have babbled on long enough - gosh I get to go to bed early tonight since my blog is done. Wish it weren't so. Hopefully there will be all kinds of fun things to talk about tomorrow night. Till then...have a good one.




No comments:

Post a Comment